Do nodes always need to restart after backend selection?

Jared Morrow jared at basho.com
Thu Apr 4 09:51:08 EDT 2013

Toby,

That particular page is talking about changing the default settings of the
backend of a bucket.  In that specific case, if you want to change the
default behavior in your app.config file a restart is necessary.  One
particularly important detail there is you don't need to restart *all*
nodes at the same time.  Restarting one node at a time is sufficient and
recommended so you don't have any cluster downtime.

For setting common bucket properties, you do not need to restart the node.
 If you want to change the n_val of a bucket for instance, you can just
change it from your client on all nodes.  That page explains at the bottom
how to set them on the erlang console or curl, but most people use their
chosen client to set bucket properties before writing values.   Here is an
example using the Java Client
http://docs.basho.com/java/latest/cookbooks/buckets/.  In general it
doesn't matter if your client supports HTTP or protocol buffers, both API's
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/references/apis/ support bucket property
changes.

Hope that helps,
Jared