How to add a secondary index with the Java client

Brian Roach roach at basho.com
Mon Apr 8 17:48:30 EDT 2013

Jeff,

If you're just passing in an instance of the core Java HashMap ... you can't.

The way the default JSONConverter works for metadata (such as indexes)
is via annotations.

The object being passed in needs to have a field annotated with
@RiakIndex("index_name"). That field can be a Long/Set<Long> or
String/Set<String> (for _int and _bin indexes respectively).

These are not converted to JSON so they won't affect your serialized
data. You can have multiple fields for multiple indexes.

You don't have to append "_int" or "_bin" to the index name in the
annotation - it's done automatically based on the type.

Easiest thing to do woud be to extend HashMap and simply add the
annotated field(s).

Thanks,
_Roach