RiakCS configs and quoting of backends

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Apr 8 21:45:57 EDT 2013

Hi,
I think I've spotted an issue with the configuration snippets given on
both these pages, relating to configuring Riak CS.. but it might just be
my misunderstanding of Erlang configuration formats.

http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/tutorials/fast-track/Building-a-Local-Test-Environment/

http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/cookbooks/configuration/Configuring-Riak/

On those pages, none of the names of backends are quoted.
ie. We have {be_blocks, riak_kv_bitcask_backend,
rather than:
{<<"be_blocks"">, riak_kv_bitcask_backend,

However in the regular Riak configuration section, backend names are
always quoted.

Now, I note that if you use the entire configuration snippet verbatim,
that it all works. However if you want to set more backends and to
select them via REST bucket properties, then you find that none of the
backends can be found.

Things only seemed to work as expected once I went through and quoted
all the backend names - in the multi_backend{} part, and also for the
prefix_list and default options.

I'm not going to submit any pull requests for this, since I'm not sure
if this is even an issue or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

-Toby