Post commit hooks are a single process, so they are executed in the same order as the commits ?

Ryan Zezeski rzezeski at basho.com
Mon Apr 8 21:55:00 EDT 2013

Simon,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Simon Majou <simon at majou.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to sync a bucket of a first cluster with the bucket of a second
> cluster. To do that I think using the post commit hook.

If you didn't know, this is exactly what Riak Enterprise was built to do.
 I.e. handle multi-cluster replication.  However, if you want to give it a
go on your own a post-commit hook is one way to get the job done.  You'll
want to think through failure scenarios where the receiving cluster is down
and how to deal with msgs that are dropped between clusters.  The
post-commit hook runs on a process called the "coordinator", there is a
coordinator for every incoming request.  So you won't block the vnodes,
which is important, but the client/user request will block until your
post-commit returns.

> Is there any risk that the sequence of PUTs to be mixed in such a scenario
> ?

Do you mean the sequence seen on cluster A vs. cluster B?  Are you asking
if the object could appear to be on B before A even though the PUT was sent
to A?  The answer is, it depends.  With a healthy system it's probably
unlikely but it will depend on your DW values and state of each cluster.
 E.g. if cluster A nodes get slow disk I/O then perhaps the replication to
cluster B could beat writes on A.  If we start introducing node and network
failures, or changing W/DW values then things can get more complicated.
 You could have success on cluster A, fire replica to cluster B, all
primary nodes for that object on cluster A die, now cluster B will have a
key for which cluster A says not_found (well, not totally true, depends on
your PR value).

-Z