Measuring Riak disk usage

chengas123 benjamin.j.mccann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:14:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm currently storing data in MongoDB and would like to evaluate Riak as an
alternative. Riak is appealing to me because LevelDB uses Snappy, so I would
expect it to take less disk space to store my data set than MongoDB which
does not use compression. However, when I benchmarked it by inserting a few
hundred thousand JSON records into each datastore, Riak in fact took far
more disk space. I'm wondering if there's something I might be missing here
as a newcomer to Riak. E.g. I checked the disk space used by running "du -ch
/var/lib/riak/leveldb". Is this perhaps not a good way to check disk space
usage because perhaps Riak/LevelDB preallocates files? (I know MongoDB does
this and has a built-in db.collection.stats command to provide true disk
usage information). Are there any other reasons why Riak might be taking
more space or anything I could have screwed up?

Thanks,
Ben