Am I misunderstand read and write quorum? Or am I losing writes?

Rob Speer rob at luminoso.com
Thu Apr 11 22:29:05 EDT 2013

My understanding is that if you write a document to a cluster of 4 riak
servers with w='quorum', then read from that same cluster with r='quorum',
that the read should reflect the result of the right.

My understanding is also that, in the Python client (version 5525f4f3, from
master), w = r = 'quorum' by default.

And yet, the following check in my code fails occasionally:

riak_obj = bucket.new(docid, doc)
riak_obj.store()
echo_doc = bucket.get(docid).data
for field in doc:
    assert doc[field] == echo_doc[field], (doc, echo_doc)

I thought perhaps my W and R settings were wrong and I was just getting
"eventual consistency", so I tried a very slow version where I waited five
seconds before reading the updated document. This seems to fail just as
often. So it doesn't just seem like I'm reading a write that hasn't
happened yet; it seems that the occasional write may _never happen at all_.

Have I misunderstood something? If not, why would this happen, and how can
I track it down?
-- Rob