Using Riak to perform aggregate queries

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Apr 15 20:57:39 EDT 2013

On 16/04/13 03:09, Elias Levy wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM, <riak-users-request at lists.basho.com
> <mailto:riak-users-request at lists.basho.com>> wrote:
>
>     From: Chris Corbyn <chris at w3style.co.uk <mailto:chris at w3style.co.uk>>
>
>     The thing is, the *only* querying criteria for this app is to
>     aggregate the data for the purpose of reporting. Our finance guys
>     want to be able to check a few boxes to specify how they want the
>     data grouped, then generate the report. We actually do this data
>     warehousing style in MySQL at the moment, where the data is
>     renormalized about as far as we can, but still allowing for some run
>     time use of GROUP BY and ordering.
>

> Riak is not an analytics DB, don't use it as such.
>
> If you are analyzing data that is years old, then you are not utilizing
> Riak for availability properties.  If you are writing sales reports,
> then you are more likely worried about consistency than availability.
>
> You have to do some herculean work to turn Riak into a OLAP cube (see
> Boundary.com's Kobayashi).
>
> You are better off using Hadoop or AWS's Elastic MapReduce if you want
> do use MR.  Or if you just need to roll up reports using SQL but
> allowing ad hoc queries, consider datases like Vertica
> <http://www.vertica.com/> or Infobright <http://www.infobright.com/>,
> which are either distributed or excel at handling data aggregation.

Thanks, it has been interesting to read all the feedback about this.
I'm in a similar boat, wondering about using Riak for large analysis
tasks. It's sounding like it just isn't the right tool for the job.

Riak looks like it can replace several different systems I use, which
will simplify administration greatly, while providing better
reliability. I was hoping that on top of that it could also do big
MapReduce jobs and warehousing, but maybe that was too much to ask. I'm
going to keep an eye out for improvements or people with successful
experiences anyway.

-Toby