SV: Riak + Disco (MapReduce alternative)

Jens Rantil jens.rantil at telavox.se
Wed Apr 17 10:19:14 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've been following the Disco Project for a couple of years. The tricky part with using Disco with Riak would be to make sure each map phase is not executed multiple times over the same data*. Also, since each map phase would (preferably) run on the same host as its data (for data locality), you would also have to make sure to only iterate over data that is associated with the vnode for that physical host.

If you can easily extract host-specific keys for a specific vnode, then this is doable. However, either the Disco master or the Disco job submitter will need to have all this data when a job is submitted.

Also, I'm not sure that it will help very much that both are written in Erlang.

Some ideas,
Jens

* Obviously, you could also chain your mapreduce jobs in Disco to remove duplicate maps, but this introduces overhead.