two-node cluster for riak?

Michael Forrester michael.forrester at worthpoint.com
Thu Apr 18 11:26:46 EDT 2013

Greetings Everyone,
I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here
goes.

We are currently running a six-node cluster in Amazon AWS.   There has been
some talk by our architects of going to a two-node configuration using
SSD-backed instances with super fast hardware, but for some reason this is
triggering " this is not correct, but I don't remember why" spidey sense.
 From my understanding, it is best to run riak with 5 nodes or at least N
+2 and that a two-node cluster (even though the hardware will be way
faster) will not satisfy that.

Any loose suggestions about how to approach this?   I am open to the two
ultrafast nodes... I am not sure how to put riak on them to work in a
fault-tolerant way.

Articles, dirty limericks, and soliloquies are all appreciated.

--
 Michael Forrester
 Director of Infrastructure

404.996.1470 O)