two-node cluster for riak?

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Thu Apr 18 11:33:17 EDT 2013

Hi, Michael.

Your spidey-sense is absolutely correct.

Recall for a moment that Riak by default will store 3 copies of everything. This means that in a two-node configuration any given value will be stored once on one node and twice on the other. Not only does this mean a whole lot of wasted work, it removes much of the safety and availability that people look to get from Riak. If one node goes down, then for half of your keys you have lost a majority of their replicas.

On only two nodes, you can't really get the kind of fault-tolerance Riak provides... with Riak or any other software.

-Justin