cloned machines issues

Pieter Breed lists.basho.com at pb.co.za
Mon Apr 29 08:31:46 EDT 2013

Thanks,

I actually went with shutting down both clusters completely and deleting
everything in the /var/lib/riak folders on all of the machines . Then
setting up the clusters again from scratch.

The nature of our solution means that our data is transient anyway, so it
worked for us.

Pieter

> On 29 Apr 2013 12:58, "Shane McEwan" <shane at mcewan.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 27/04/13 10:56, Pieter Breed wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get two cloned machines to form a new cluster but I'm
>>> struggling to get rid of the old cluster config.
>>

>> I went through the same issue when trying to clone our production
cluster to use as a staging cluster.

>> The trick is to configure the new cluster completely independently of
the one you're cloning and only copy the data directories (for LevelDB,
anyway. I don't know if it works with other backends.). Don't copy any of
the configuration files from the original cluster.

>> Here is how I did it:
>>
>> * Create a new, empty cluster on the staging servers.
>> * Shut down Riak on the new cluster.
>> * If possible, shut down Riak on the production cluster to ensure a
clean copy.
>> * Copy the Production "leveldb" data directory to the staging servers.
NOTE: To avoid unnecessary handoffs between staging nodes make sure you
clone the nodes in the same order as the 'ringready' command lists them.
First production node to first staging node, etc.
>> * Start Riak on the staging cluster.
>> * Riak will start using the leveldb data as if it was its own. There's
nothing in the leveldb data directories that ties the data to a particular
node name.
>> * Monitor the Riak logs for errors or handoffs. Excessive handoffs means
you've cloned one or more production nodes to the wrong staging nodes. Riak
will fix it but it's inefficient.

>> I now automatically update our staging nodes every night with an rsync
of our production snapshot backups. This has two advantages: First, it
gives us a test platform with real, almost current, production data; and
second, it tests our backup system ensuring that our snapshots actually
work when loaded into Riak.