Fun with Unicode

Adam Lindsay atl at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:45:10 EST 2013

Anton, Sean,

Anton brings up a pretty interesting problem.

At first, I thought it might be easy to remedy with:

import json
import functools
antonjson = functools.partial(json.dumps, ensure_ascii=False)

from riak import RiakClient
R = RiakClient()
R.set_encoder('application/json', antonjson)

…however, upon testing this out, it's seems likely that the underlying transport channels use the default encoding, 'ascii,' and choke on the 8-bit data we now pass it, in socket.py (for the HTTP client) or protobuf.internal.type_checkers (for PBC).

Maybe that's a suitable hint for Anton's further investigation, but I'll try to spend some time with it to see what I can find, as well.

As to the OP's question: Yes, you've summarized the state of affairs quite nicely. IMHO it was a reasonable default (you can't be sure other Riak clients are as good as Python at 8-bit/Unicode!), but the underlying implementation definitely shows a bug that (again, IMHO) should and can be fixed.--
Adam Lindsay