Riak Recap for January 29 - February 10

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Tue Feb 12 03:32:46 EST 2013

Evening, Morning, Afternoon to All -

Long overdue Recap coming your way. Code, blogs, meetups, and more.

Heres another reminder about RICON | EAST happening this May in New
York City. I would love to see all of you there. Also, Basho is paying
travel and hotel expenses for all speakers, so I expect everyone to
submit a CFP about their Riak clusters.

* Details here ---> ricon.io/east.html

Enjoy, and thanks for being a part of Riak.

Mark
twitter.com/pharkmillups

Riak Recap for January 28 - February 11
==============================

1) Basho hacker Chris Meiklejohn is giving a Riak talk in Providence,
Rhode Island at Prov Ops on February 25th.

* Details here ---> http://www.meetup.com/provops/events/101785102/

2) Emily Rose is working on some Node.js code called riak-bot that
handles node configuration, discovery & auto clustering.

* On NPM here ---> https://npmjs.org/package/riak-bot

3) There are Seven Riak meetups happening this Wednesday in the US.

* Details here ---> http://basho.com/seven-riak-meetups-happening-february-13th/

4) Xing is hosting a Riak Meetup On February 20th in Hamburg to talk
about what they are building with Riak.

* Register here ---> http://www.meetup.com/Riak-Hamburg/events/102504802/
* And/or here ---> https://www.xing.com/events/riak-meetup-hamburg-1199460

5) Sean Cribbs, Evan Vigil-McClanahan, and a few others pushed out
v1.5.2 of the Python Client.

* Announcement here --->
http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2013-February/010911.html

6) Michael van Rooijen's Backup gem has Riak support.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/meskyanichi/backup

7) Florian Ragwitz released version 1.4 of his Perl Client.

* Code here ---> https://metacpan.org/release/FLORA/Data-Riak-1.4/

8) InfoQ wrote a short piece on the Riak 1.3rc

* Read here ---> http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/02/riak-1-3-rc

9) Deepak shared this blog post on the list but for those of you who
just read the Recaps...

* Deploying Riak on EC2 --->
http://deepakbala.me/2013/02/08/deploying-riak-on-ec2/

10) Kenji Rikitake joined the Basho Engineering Team.

* Short blog about it here --->
http://basho.com/dr-kenji-rikitake-it-and-computer-security-expert-joins-basho/

11) A few Riak-related gists that came across my radar..

* Installing Riak 1.2.1 on OS X Mountain Lion with Erlang R15B01 --->
https://gist.github.com/wunki/4722411
* Working with Riak Dev Instances ---> https://gist.github.com/mrnugget/4721131

12) Basho Hacker Bryce Kerley is working on something called pingapp,
"A Riak Core Learning Experiece."

* Code here ---> https://github.com/bkerley/riak-core-ping

13) Carl Hall wrote a blog post about using Erlang MapReduce via the
Ruby client.

* Read here --->
http://thecarlhall.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/erlang-mapreduce-job-in-riak-using-a-ruby-client/

14) Nathan Evans wrote up a quick post on an error he saw with Riak on startup.

* Read here --->
http://nbevans.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/riak-timing-out-during-startup/

15) Tom Santero was hacking on something called "pregerl" this weekend
at Erlang DC, a pregel implementation in Erlang using riak_core.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/pregerl/pregerl

16) Various Q and A

* ---> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14581106/graceful-riak-force-replace
* ---> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14700112/how-do-i-index-already-existing-objects-in-riak