Is per-bucket auto-expiry possible?

Rune Skou Larsen rsl at trifork.com
Wed Feb 27 05:31:46 EST 2013

No and yes.
Bitcask is the only backend shipped with Riak that stores data on disk
and supports expiry. When setting expiry in a bitcask backend, the
setting goes for all buckets inside that backend.

What you can do, is to setup a multibackend system. For example
configure one bitcask backend with expiry, and leave the default backend
without expiry.
Then point the buckets, where you want keys to expire, to the expiry
backend by setting the "backend" bucket property:

  curl -XPUT http://riaknode:8098/riak/bucketWherekeysShouldExpire \
   -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
   -d '{"props":{"backend":"my_backend_with_expiry"}}'

See:
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/tutorials/choosing-a-backend/Multi/

It can be tempting to set up many individual backends, but beware of the
operational downsides of this, which includes more open files and other
aspects discussed on the mailinglist some time ago.

BR Rune

--

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

*Rune Skou Larsen*