MapReduce scalability

Christian Dahlqvist christian at basho.com
Thu Feb 28 10:17:52 EST 2013

Hi Bernard,

The description in the documentation is entirely accurate and not at all purely theoretical. Riak will automatically select a covering set of vnodes/partitions that hold the data set required to complete the job. All physical nodes may therefore net need to participate in the job. When performing this selection, the coordinating node will take into account any node outages.

Any map phases will then run on all of these vnodes and use the data stored on each local partition. In order to make it as efficient as possible, it will use only the versions of the data available locally and will not perform a quorum read against all the replicas holding a copy of that data as this would result in a lot of network traffic when running large jobs. The outputs of any map phases are then sent over to the coordinating node where any reduce phases would normally run.

As the input to the map phase only reads from one replica for every KV pair, results can differ from run to run if all replicas are not in sync. This likelihood of this happening should however be reduced with the introduction of active anti-entropy in release 1.3 of Riak, but will due to the eventually consistent nature of Riak never be completely eliminated.

MapReduce is quite resilient to data issues as long as any map phase functions used have been designed to handle notfounds and tombstones. Nodes going down during a MapReduce job will however in many cases cause it to fail.

Although it would technically be possible to create a map phase function in Erlang that performs a quorum read using the internal Riak client and then performs any processing based on this object instead of the one passed in, this is strongly discouraged as it would add a lot of additional network traffic and pose a significant risk of overloading the cluster.

Best regards,

Christian