store performance

Brian Roach roach at basho.com
Thu Jan 3 12:06:57 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Brian Roach <roach at basho.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM, catchme <lhariharan at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to store 1543400 records using the memory backend.
>> I have a basic cluster setup with 2 nodes..
>> I am using the pbcClient
>> Bucket b = client.createBucket("test_bucket1").nVal(1).execute();
>>                         //store object
>>                         StoreObject<IRiakObject> storeObject =
>>                                         buckt.store((String) key,buf);
>>                         storeObject.dw(Quora.ONE).returnBody(false).execute();
>>
>> The store takes forever..
>> I have riak installed on RHEL 6
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Multi-threading. A single client thread is going to max out somewhere
> in the neighborhood of 100 per second best case. (give or take,
> depending on network, size of objects, etc).

Sorry for the double reply - you also do not want to be calling
`createBucket()` every time. This fetches/sends the bucket information
from/to Riak. You want to create the `Bucket` object once then pass it
around. If that's not possible due to how you have written your code,
use the `fetchBucket()` instead along with
`lazyLoadBucketProperties()` so as not to be querying the bucket
parameters each time.