Riak packaging for RPM-based distros

Jared Morrow jared at basho.com
Wed Jan 9 17:00:23 EST 2013

> > Right now if someone has a problem, I can say, "tell me what ./riak
> version says"
> > and know exactly what is running.
>
> Mostly true, but... Most deps in 'rebar.config' files links to HEAD of
> 'master' branch. Seems output of './riak version' is not enough.
> Anyway, when packaging is done right way (no packages was built with
> new code but old version), 'rpm -q $pkgname' (for example) will give
> good start point.

For releases that's not true.  At RC time all rebar.config files change to
fix each dependency on a tag.  If we don't control the repo (such as
folsom), I fix the tag on an exact commit.  So for each version of Riak
released since about 0.14.2 we can tell you the exact list of commits that
went into each release.  If you download the source tarball at each release
you can get the dependency_manifest.txt file (I added this around 1.0 I
think) it further lists all the tags used for reference.

You can checkout a tag like riak-1.2.0 in basho/riak, do a 'make deps',
then a './rebar list-deps' and you'll see that no repo is a floating commit
or branch.

Thanks,
-Jared

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Aleksey Morarash <aleksey.morarash at gmail.com