Riak packaging for RPM-based distros

Tom Lanyon tom+riak at oneshoeco.com
Wed Jan 9 21:48:31 EST 2013

On 10/01/2013, at 6:08 AM, Andrew Thompson <andrew at hijacked.us> wrote:
> To amplify Jared's reply a little...
>
> The packaging choices we have made are with good reason. I'll try to
> counter the most important points in your email below:
<snip>

To add some further ammo to this, from an user / non-Basho perspective...

As someone who makes heavy use of OS packaging (in our case, RPMs on EL-like distros), I would like to see the following continue:

	* Erlang contained within the Riak package to avoid conflicts with other Erlang apps[1] and to ensure the versions of Riak <-> Erlang are matched as best possible.

	* A single Riak RPM/package;  I see no benefit in maintaining separate packages for each component of Riak, only extra effort required for users and packagers.

[1] I'm aware it's not recommended to run multiple Erlang apps on the same host, but sometimes this is necessary.  A shared Erlang package would make this even more troublesome than it currently is.

Regards,
Tom