Ripple file attachments

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Thu Jan 10 20:30:21 EST 2013

Hi Ariel,

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Ariel Valentin <ariel at arielvalentin.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I recently learned about carrierwave, which does not have a dependency on activerecord. I think am going to give that a try. I don't like the idea of having embedded documents in this case but rather a reference to a value in a separate bucket.
>
> I will RTFM when I get a chance but is 4MB a magic number? What happens when an entry exceeds that size?

That's around where Riak will start to become less-than-happy with the
object size it has to buffer in memory and then write to disk. There's
nothing hard-coded in Riak to prevent you from storing something
bigger than 4MB, nor will it result in total protonic reversal [0] if
you attempt to do so. But, to keep things performant, that's around
where we advise people to cap object sizes if possible. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

Mark

[0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE