Riak Recap for January 15 - 28

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Jan 28 21:00:52 EST 2013

Evening, Morning, Afternoon to All -

Sorry for the delay in Recaps. It has been a hectic few weeks.

We've got all sorts of goodness in here. Enjoy, and thanks for being a
part of Riak.  Also, just a heads up, but clear your calendar for the
2nd week of May, especially if you're on the East Coast of the US (or
plan to be)...

Lastly, I'll be San Diego tomorrow night (for this ->
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5174472988/) and LA the day after for
a few hours. If anyone wants to chat Riak, let me know and I'll try to
make some time.

Mark
twitter.com/pharkmillups

Riak Recap for January 15 - 28
=======================

1) Basho is sponsoring the ErlangDC event that's happening February
9th.  You should go.

* Details and tickets here ---> http://erlangdc.com/

2) myfinder released some new Perl code for testing Riak.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/myfinder/p5-test-riak

3) Matt Snyder wrote a blog post about 2i vs. Key Filters and is
looking for feedback on which query method is faster for his use case.

* Read here --->
http://www.cranialpulse.com/2013/01/riak-whats-faster-2i-or-key-filters.html

4) The team at Klarna just released some Riak-flavored code.

* Klarna Riak Client (which wraps the Riak Erlang Client) --->
https://github.com/klarna/krc
* Riak implementations of MeshUp interfaces --->https://github.com/klarna/rimu

5) Christopher Biscardi wrote his second blog post about Riak. This
one is all about Consistent Hashing.

* Read here --->
http://www.christopherbiscardi.com/2013/01/16/consistant-hash-routing-in-riak-core/

6) The 451Group is doing a survey on database usage. If you're using
(or testing) Riak, don't be scared to help us out. We appreciate it.

* Survey here ---> bit.ly/451db13

7) Myles Megyesi from 8th Light wrote a quick post about some
JavaScript issues they ran into when using large numbers with
MapReduce.

* Read here --->
http://blog.8thlight.com/myles-megyesi/2013/01/18/riak-mapreduce.html

8) Theo Bot's Catalyst Riak Model just hit 0.4.

* Code here on CPAN---> http://search.cpan.org/~nltbo/Catalyst-Model-Riak-0.04/

9) We added a few Riak use cases to the Basho Blog that are well worth
the read if you're interested in Riak being used in production.

* Mad Mimi ---> http://basho.com/blog/technical/2013/01/21/Riak-Mad-Mimi/
* Alert Logic ---> http://basho.com/blog/technical/2013/01/24/Alert-Logic-Riak/
* Copious ---> http://basho.com/blog/technical/2013/01/28/Copious-Uses-Riak/

10) A few Riak meetups on the horizon.

* Riak Portland (OR) is happening tonight --->
http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Riak/events/95049492/
* The first Riak Munich meetup --->
http://www.meetup.com/Riak-Munchen/events/100799492/
* Riak London is tomorrow night --->
http://www.meetup.com/riak-london/events/94949812/
* The next Riak NYC was just announced --->
http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Riak-Meetup/events/101793192/

11) The crew at OmnitTI wrote a post about how they support Viggle.
Riak gets a nice mention.

* Read here --->
http://omniti.com/remembers/2013/omniti-provides-high-performance-support-for-viggle-television-loyalty-program

12) Basho is sponsoring flatMap(Oslo) this coming May in Norway.

* Details here ---> http://2013.flatmap.no/about.html

13) We added a bunch of functions for manipulating user metadata and
secondary indexes to the Riak Erlang Client (courtesy of newly-minted
Basho Hacker Christian Dahlqvist).

* Code here ---> https://github.com/basho/riak-erlang-client/pull/81

14) Basho Hacker Marcel Neuhausler added support to Yokozuna for
storing and retrieving schemas via http

* Commit here --->
https://github.com/rzezeski/yokozuna/commit/7cb90fd2dba7cfc3241384a09bc6c097472924f3

15) Nathan Aschbacher (also now a Basho dev) bumped Nodiak up to version 0.1.1.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/nathanaschbacher/nodiak

16) A WIP branch for Protocol Buffers support in riak-js just landed.

* Take it for a spin here ---> https://github.com/mostlyserious/riak-js/pull/138

17) Riak is now available on the Engine Yard cloud. And they're giving
away 500 free hours on their platform to try it out. (Congrats to
Ines, Tasha, and the EY crew for shipping this.)

* Details here --->
http://basho.com/blog/technical/2013/01/25/Riak-at-Engine-Yard/

18) Chlu wrote a Riak cache backend for TYPO3 Flow

* Code here ---> https://github.com/chlu/TYPO3.Riak

19) Some Q & A.

* ---> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14531708/how-can-i-delete-a-riak-bucket-in-python
* ---> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14555602/riak-not-starting