Leveldb backup using nodejs

Hector Castro hector at basho.com
Wed Jan 30 09:39:34 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:52 AM, vvsanil <vvsanilkumar at gmail.com> wrote:
> We want to use  basic 3 node riak cluster on amazon ec2 with a leveldb
> backend. The 3 nodes will be sitting under a load balancer.

To be clear, for production deployments we recommend using no fewer
than 5 nodes:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/references/appendices/Cluster-Capacity-Planning/#Number-of-Nodes

> When doing a backup ...
> 1. Do i need to remove the node from the load balancer?

The process for backing up the LevelDB backend can be found here:

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/cookbooks/Backups/#LevelDB-Backups

> 2. How do i backup riak using nodejs? Can i run a cron or do i have to do
> this manually?

As the LevelDB backup link above mentions, running this in a cron job
is a good approach. You're best bet is to use a tool like rsync for
the data directory backups – although, if you're using a file system
with snapshot capabilities, that may be easier.