Riak Recap for June 20 - 30

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Jul 1 12:39:30 EDT 2013

Afternoon, Morning, Evening to All -

This Recap comes to you live from Falmouth, MA. On the off chance that
anyone is in/around the area and wants to talk about databases, ping me.

A few things to take care of before we move on:

* We've got about half the RICON East videos live (including Reid's talk on
Riak CS that went live this morning), so go watch them and buy a ticket to
West while you're are it.
- http://ricon.io/archive/2013/east.html

* Basho is hiring a few more Technical Evangelists, specifically in Austin,
TX and the Washington, D.C., area. If you or someone you know is interested
in making Riak the biggest database in the world (adoption, not LOC), ping
me. Check out this blog post if you're looking for more info on what TEs do
here at Basho.
- http://www.themarkphillips.com/2012/11/06/Month-One-For-Basho-TEs.html

Enjoy.

Mark
twitter.com/pharkmillups
------------------------------------

Riak Recap for June 20 - 30
====================

The Tier 3 crew wrote some docs on how to use their new object storage
service (that runs on Riak CS).
-
http://help.tier3.com/entries/21649725-Using-Object-Storage-via-REST-API-AWS-SDK

Basho Hacker Andrew Thompson wrote a blog post about package management.
- http://vagabond.github.io/2013/06/21/z_packagers-dont-know-best/

He also wrote a follow up:
- http://vagabond.github.io/2013/06/21/zz_packaging-and-the-tide-of-history/

Aphyr wrote a piece for InfoQ about his Jepsen framework and how to break
databases.
- http://www.infoq.com/articles/jepsen

Brian Dunavant wrote a blog post about running Riak on SSDs and how that
impacted various components of their production deployment.
-
http://www.phishie.com/wordpress/2013/06/eventually-consistant-performance/

The team at Trifork wrote a blog called "EFFICIENTLY STORING YOUR DOMAIN
MODEL IN RIAK."
-
http://blog.trifork.com/2013/06/20/efficiently-storing-your-domain-model-in-riak/

Basho Hacker Eric Redmond's Railsberry talk "Distributed patterns you
should know" is now online.
- https://vimeo.com/68757697

He also gave a variation of this talk at Ancient City Ruby called
"Distributed Patterns in Ruby."
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adu_dbcnUHA&feature=youtu.be

Basho Hacker C.S. Meiklejohn wrote a blog post about something he's been
working on called  "Riak PG" -  distributed process groups for Erlang
(built on riak_core).
-
http://christophermeiklejohn.com/erlang/riak/crdt/2013/06/24/introducing-riak-pg-distributed-process-groups-for-erlang.html

Daniel Kvasnička wrote and released a Riak client written in Racket.
- https://github.com/dkvasnicka/racket-riak

Sean Cribbs is giving a talk at All Your Base Conference this October in
Oxford called "Practical Eventually-Consistent Web Apps on Riak."
- http://lanyrd.com/2013/all-your-base/sckfzk/

Basho TE Joel Jacobson and ardent Riak user Age Mooji will be presenting on
all things Riak at the NoSQL Netherlands Meetup on July 24th in Amsterdam.
- http://www.meetup.com/nosql-nl/events/127354632/

Q & A
-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17118061/403-forbidden-while-creating-admin-user-in-riak-cs