Riak-CS-Control

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Jul 2 06:34:15 EDT 2013

Riak (and Riak CS and Stanchion) all assume some level of competence at
Erlang. I found Riak was tricky to get running, but had picked up enough
knowledge of Erlang's strange syntax and foibles from working with RabbitMQ.

Even then, some things weren't obvious, as you'll see from my questions
to the list a few months ago.

I do wonder if it would be useful for Basho to publish some Chef and
Puppet manifests that do the work of setting up a small cluster?

However I believe the best thing would be if Riak shipped with good
defaults that get people up and running quickly.
So, for example, instead of requiring the node name to be redefined in
the vm.args, you'd just have it default to using your FQDN to construct
a name.

Stop using Erlang's inpenetrable syntax for the config files, and use
something people are familiar with, including the UNIX-style of loading
snippets out of /etc/riak.d/*.conf or similar. Enable Riak CS to add a
snippet that gets itself loaded, rather than requiring moderate amounts
of edits to be performed manually, including adding paths to the Erlang
library search path.

But.. that's just my thoughts, and I'm far from an expert. Maybe once
the core of Riak has been improved even further and bugs squashed,
there'll be time for the team to look at improving the initial setup
experience. In the meantime I've found this list to be very helpful in
getting a working system up and running.

-Toby