Riak consistency state hook

Kresten Krab Thorup krab at trifork.com
Tue Jul 9 09:48:22 EDT 2013

I've also been pondering these things.

The mere presence of out-of-sync handling begs the question of wether we should show some information about that to "end users", like much like some systems may attaching a "certainty" to a given data point.

It would indeed make sense for some front-end operations to only be enabled when the backing system has a high degree of in-sync, or perhaps the front-end system should display a warning of sorts.

It would be good to know how much we're currently "out of date".  For a single key, you can force a check by doing a lookup with a high PR value (reads from primaries), and possibly you can even get that info by getting the details structure back from a read/write.

For the "system overall", it would be nice to have some kind of dashboard that monitors stats for handoffs, read repairs, entropy work, etc.  From these stats you can probably compute or display something that says "how in sync" the riak system as a whole (or part) is right now.  Without such a system it is hard to know "what is normal".

In general however, it is very difficult to guarantee anything about such an evaluation since it may change at any time, even before you get your response back.

Kresten

Mobile: + 45 2343 4626 | Skype: krestenkrabthorup | Twitter: @drkrab
Trifork A/S  |  Margrethepladsen 4  | DK- 8000 Aarhus C |  Phone : +45 8732 8787  |  www.trifork.com<http://www.trifork.com>
[cid:A74426A3-6403-45D7-BF2C-B6FD4CA24662]