What is the purpose of "rel" links?

Age Mooij age.mooij at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:52:56 EDT 2013

Hi

I've been looking at links and link walking and I noticed that Riak very often returns a special type of link with rel="up" instead of a riaktag, which is illegal for users to create.

What is the purpose of this link? (beyond the reasonably obvious "this key belongs to bucket X). Why was it added?
Are there other "rels" than "up"?
Can they be followed through link walking?

This behavior is not documented anywhere that I (or Google) could find.

Age

PS
Also, all the docs on links, even the 1.4 docs, still refer to the old "/riak/bucket/key" format for specifying a link target. Riak 1.3.1 rejects this format with a bad request error!

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 20:46:50 GMT
Server: MochiWeb/1.1 WebMachine/1.9.2 (someone had painted it blue)

Invalid Link header. Links must be of the form
</buckets/BUCKET/keys/KEY>; riaktag="TAG"