Couple rookie Riaks questions

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Fri Jul 12 21:05:23 EDT 2013

Hi Max,

Hopefully we're not too late to help you out here. Responses In-line.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Max Grigoriev <darkit at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Should I create a connection pool or it's OK to create {ok, Pid} =
> riakc_pb_socket:start_link("127.0.0.1", 8087) on each web request in my
> erlang app

You'll probably want to use a connection pool here. There are a few
libraries out there that can be used with the Erlang client. I think most
are listed under "Erlang" on the community code page of our docs [1].

 It's very strange and pity that erlang native client doesn't support all
> features Java one has:
> http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/references/Client-Libraries/
>
>  - Am I right that Link walking is implemented as Map/Reduce and it uses
> full scan?

It does use M/R under the hood, yes.

>  - How do you connect to riak nodes (I mean how to decide to which node
> connet) or just put Riak cluster behind HAProxy and that's all

You're best to use HAproxy or something similar to manage this. In the
future we might move this logic into the client but for the moment an
external load balancer is your best bet.

Hope that helps.

Mark

[1]
http://docs.basho.com/riak/1.2.1/references/Community-Developed-Libraries-and-Projects/