Quickly deleting + recreating item in Riak deletes new item

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Sun Jul 14 12:28:22 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've been playing around with Riak for a new app I'm building.  I'm currently
playing around with my own mini-cluster along with my test suite for the app.
The Riak cluster is a four node cluster running across a laptop and a desktop
(so two nodes per physical machine).  I'm also running with the default
setting for delete_mode, but I've tried both keep or immediate without any
change for my problem.

In my test suite, at the end of every test I delete all the keys inside my
Riak cluster (manually by listing keys then deleting them one by one).  Also,
some of my items share the same key name for testing.  Usually this works just
fine, and my tests all pass.

However, occasionally one of my newly created items disappears from the test
clusters, and my test errors out complaining the object could not be found.
This seems to happen especially often if a node has been stopped and started.

I'm pretty sure the system is successfully creating the item, so I'm wondering
if this is expected behaviour from Riak, and if there some way for me to work
around this.

Also, on another note I'm seeing read latencies from Riak of around 10-20ms
per key.  Is this typical?  My write speeds seem to be significantly less then
that.
--
Matthew