Riak 1.4.0: *Massive* disk space saving with eLevelDB

Matthew Von-Maszewski matthewv at basho.com
Fri Jul 26 10:31:36 EDT 2013

Dave,

Glad you are happy.

The truth is that you gained space via the backup/restore process.  The data formats of 1.3.1 and 1.4 are the same.

leveldb only removes dead / old key/values during its background compaction.  It could be days, even weeks in some cases, between when you write fresh key/values and when their old version are discarded.

Your restore process only put the fresh keys back into the database.  The old versions were never part of the backup.

Matthew