Installing protobuf 2.5.0 for Riak Python 2.0

Matt Black matt.black at jbadigital.com
Wed Jul 31 00:02:48 EDT 2013

Hello list,

I've been eagerly awaiting the latest update to the python bindings, so it
was with great enthusiasm that I started on it this morning!

However, I'm unable to install the latest v2.5 of protobuf. Has anyone else
had problems? Presumably it works for others on different setups. (Sean?)

(test)vagrant at boomerang:/tmp/protobuf-2.5.0/python > python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
Generating google/protobuf/unittest_pb2.py...
google/protobuf/unittest_import.proto:53:8: Expected a string naming the
file to import.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto: Import
"google/protobuf/unittest_import.proto" was not found or had errors.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:97:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:101:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:107:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.PublicImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:135:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:139:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:165:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:216:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:221:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:227:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.PublicImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:256:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportMessage" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:261:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.
google/protobuf/unittest.proto:291:12:
"protobuf_unittest_import.ImportEnum" is not defined.

vagrant at boomerang:~ > uname -a
Linux boomerang 3.2.0-29-virtual #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:23:50 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

vagrant at boomerang:~ > lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu