benchmark results on my $75/month 5 node cluster :)

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Oct 2 14:29:50 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Tom Santero <tsantero at basho.com> wrote:
> Nice.
>
> Can you share your bb config? Is this against leveldb or bitcask? I'm
> assuming leveldb, considering the limited RAM on these instances. If thats
> the case, I suggest running your benchmarks for longer than 20 minutes (i.e.
> several hours) if possible, just to get a feel for how well riak will
> perform after a few rounds of compactions.
>
> Lastly, do you plan on using these instances in production...or is this just
> a sandbox environment?

Tom, sure I will append the basho_bench  config. This is with bitcask.
I did some tests with leveldb and the performance was also very good,
but not as good as bitcask obviously. I will try benchmarking for a
few hours as you suggested.

I am using this in a production environment (for a multiplayer game
with just about zero $ budget to work with). I know with bitcask I
might run up against not-enough-ram for the keyspace so I will have to
keep an eye on things. But I would be able to upgrade the vms to the
larger size with a simple reboot of each node in the cluster.

{mode, max}.

{duration, 20}.

{concurrent, 5}.

{driver, basho_bench_driver_riakc_pb}.

{key_generator, {int_to_str, {uniform_int, 1000000}}}.

{value_generator, {fixed_bin, 2000}}.

{riakc_pb_ips, [
{10,0,0,6},
{10,0,0,7},
{10,0,0,8},
{10,0,0,9},
{10,0,0,10}
]}.

{riakc_pb_replies, 1}.

{operations, [{get, 2}, {update, 1}]}.

%% Use {auto_reconnect, false} to get "old" behavior (prior to April 2013).
%% See deps/riakc/src/riakc_pb_socket.erl for all valid socket options.
{pb_connect_options, [{auto_reconnect, true}]}.

%% Overrides for the PB client\'s default 60 second timeout, on a
%% per-type-of-operation basis.  All timeout units are specified in
%% milliseconds.  The pb_timeout_general config item provides a
%% default timeout if the read/write/listkeys/mapreduce timeout is not
%% specified.

{pb_timeout_general, 30000}.
{pb_timeout_read, 5000}.
{pb_timeout_write, 5000}.
{pb_timeout_listkeys, 50000}.
%% The general timeout will be used because this specific item is commented:
%% {pb_timeout_mapreduce, 50000}.