Riak on SAN

Victor Victor at boirefillergroup.com
Wed Oct 2 16:03:12 EDT 2013

Excuse me, if I misunderstood something, but why you would even want to have backup of a single node, if you are running 5 node cluster? Assuming your W key value for put requests is higher then number of vnodes on each physical node, scenario when you loose data because of single node failure does not seems to be possible. And restoring failed node should not require data backup, as backend hinted handoff should make all work for you and get failed system back to state prior failure.

Sure, backup of initial state would be helpful, as it would help to save plenty of time on node re-setup, but redundancy on cluster-level seems reliable enough.