benchmark results on my $75/month 5 node cluster :)

James Martin jmartin at basho.com
Thu Oct 3 10:46:34 EDT 2013

Alex,

Nice work benchmarking!  One thing to keep in mind (and you probably
are well aware of this), particularly when benchmarking on cloud
platforms, is that there are a lot of factors that affect performance
outside  -- other tenants, blackbox hardware upgrades, changes in SLAs
-- just to name a few.  What you may see today in your benchmarks may
not be what you see tomorrow, or even in the next hour.  Some
providers do offer performance SLAs and/or guaranteed IOPs, and this
can help mitigate the problem, but doesn't necessarily remove it.

You might find this article interesting (although a bit dated):
http://blog.scalyr.com/2012/10/16/a-systematic-look-at-ec2-io/

- James