Riak ring size

Matthew Von-Maszewski matthewv at basho.com
Thu Oct 3 12:10:56 EDT 2013

John,

If you are using leveldb as Riak's backend, keep in mind that each vnode requires a fixed amount of memory (set via max_open_files and cache_size in app.config).  Recently had one user attempt too many vnodes on a 4Gbyte machine.  He populated data to the point of memory overflow … then migration out of that mess took days.

Matthew