Riak ring size

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Thu Oct 3 13:51:34 EDT 2013

Your main concern with greater numbers of partitions is contention for IO
(and CPU time for the vnodes to process requests). Consider that with 6
nodes, you will have 170(+/- 1) partitions running on each physical node.
That's *at least* 170 files open, all scribbling to and reading from disk.
 You might get away with 512, but my experience tells me to be wary of that
for small clusters. I think unless you're doing big-web-property-level
traffic you won't need to grow your cluster as large as you think,
especially with machines that beefy.