Links, orphaned

Eric Redmond eredmond at basho.com
Sun Oct 6 20:19:02 EDT 2013

On Oct 6, 2013 4:35 PM, "Alex Rice" <alex at mindlube.com> wrote:

> Hi all, unable to find these in the Riak docs
>
> 1) Can someone point me at directions for cleanup of orphaned Links
> after an object is Deleted from Riak. Post-commit hooks or something?
> I really hope I dont have to learn Erlang just to clean up bad links
> after deleting objects!

There aren't any docs for that particular case. In fact, this is yet
another example of why we no longer recommend using Links at all.

If you're just beginning to design a production Riak model I'd recommend
investigating alternative models that can leverage direct key lookups, or
2i, or yokozuna.

> 2) Are links stored in key space or value space, or somewhere else?
> (thinking saving memory with Bitcask backend) When viewing links with
> the rekon tool, the paths look a bit verbose, prefixed with "/bucket"
> etc. So I was just wondering if they use more memory with bitcask.

Link data is metadata, so they're stored along with the value.