distribution of data among riak cluster physical nodes

kzhang kzhang at wayfair.com
Thu Oct 10 13:26:47 EDT 2013

In our environment, we have 5 node cluster, N=3, R=1, W=2. We want to
maximize read response time. basic_quorum and notfound_ok are their
defaults, false and true respectively.

To still maintain our current response time when all 5 nodes are running and
also to avoid the above scenario where the client gets notfound when a
fallback node sends the first reply back, does it make sense to have this
config:

R=1
PR=1 (i.e. always wait for a primary node to reply first)
notfound_ok =true (as long as one of my primary nodes replies, even if it is
notfound, it is fine)

I am a little unclear about basic_quorum, if true, even though my R=1, I
still have to wait for 2 replies? If false, I will have to wait for 3
replies (since my N is 3)?