Bucket properties not updated

Jordan West jwest at basho.com
Thu Oct 10 18:36:06 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Daniel Iwan <iwan.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no coordination between servers so concurrent update of
> properties is possible.
> That would certainly explain a lot.
>
> In my case though I'm setting allow_mult back to true so eventually that
> should win? Or would propagation through ring potentially break that logic
> and allow_multi = false could win?

It really depends on when the writes occur, if they are all to the same
node, etc. Things are a bit busy right now but if you could make a sample
application I'd be happy to run it and take a look when I get a chance.
I've also been meaning to look at Jeremiah's issue.

> Also could clock drift on the servers be problematic here?

Yes

> It's good to hear you plan to solve that. I'm assuming it's going to be
> some sort of vclock causality applied to properties?

Pretty much. In the next release, buckets defined under non-default types
[1] will be resolved with some sort of conflict resolver built into Riak
(e.g. if there is a conflict resolve to allow_mult to be safe). Buckets in
the default type will be addressed in a subsequent release.

[1] https://github.com/basho/riak/issues/362

Jordan