Moving to multi backend - live?

Tom Lanyon tom+riak at oneshoeco.com
Thu Oct 10 22:06:35 EDT 2013

Has anyone had any (recent) experience with changing from a single backend cluster (eLevelDB for us) to multi-backend?

We'd like to add a bucket backed by the memory backend to our existing cluster with as minimal impact as possible.

Can we set:
	storage_backend => riak_kv_multi_backend
and:
	multi_backend_default => eleveldb backend

and then restart each node without impacting the current bucket(s) on eLevelDB, and then subsequently create/switch a new bucket to the memory backend?

If not, is this a tried and true process for an offline cluster?

Thanks,
Tom