vm.swappiness ?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Oct 16 16:28:05 EDT 2013

Just an informal poll- what is preferred for Linux vm.swappiness
setting for Riak in a *cloud* environment? The default is 60 - a lot
of stuff gets swapped out. This is good for OS disk cache.

I am thinking vm.swappiness = 0

- Avoid slow & potentially costly I/O operations in the virtualized environment
- Make it easier to see if bitcask is running low of memory, as soon
as the Swap partition has been touched at all (1st out of memory
condition)
- Disk cache wont be as effective.
- I just like seeing Swap: 0% when I log in :0

Does this setting even matter at all, practically speaking?