Read Before Writes on Distributed Counters

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 11:21:06 EDT 2013

When you 'update' a counter, you send in an increment operation. That's
added to an internal list in Riak. The operations are then zipped up to
provide the correct counter value on read. The worst that you'll do is add
a large(ish) number of values to the op list inside Riak.

Siblings will be created, but they will not be visible to the end user who
is reading from the counter.

Check out this demo of the new counter types from Sean Cribbs:
https://vimeo.com/43903960

---
Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar Unlimited
MCITP: SQL Server 2008, MVP