Read Before Writes on Distributed Counters

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Thu Oct 17 11:22:58 EDT 2013

The reasons counters are interesting are:

1) You send an "increment" or "decrement" operation rather than the new
value.
2) Any conflicts that were created by that operation get resolved
automatically.

So, no, sibling explosion will not occur.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Daniil Churikov <ddosia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I wrong, but when you blindly do update without previous
> read,
> you create a sibling, which should be resolved on read. In case if you make
> a lot of increments for counter and rarely reads it will lead to siblings
> explosion.
>
> I am not familiar with new counters datatypes, so I am curious.

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/