secondary indexes limit

Russell Brown russell.brown at mac.com
Mon Oct 21 10:41:49 EDT 2013

Hi Louis-Philippe,
It costs to create secondary indexes. Nothing is free.

But I'm not sure what "1000 different secondary indexes" means. When you add secondary indexes we store the name of the index and the value it indexes as part of the object metadata and on disk in an index.

I'm sure our ProServe and CSE could give better examples, but one customer I've worked with stores ~20 indexes per object, and has ~60million objects. If you means 1000s of different indexes per key, yes, that would make reading and writing those keys slower, and would add some overhead to communications channels. If you mean 1000s of indexes across your dataset, not an issue, if you mean 1000s of index entries, not an issue.

Does that answer your question?

Your previous question, "how many index keys?" depends on how big your cluster is, how big your disks are and all the things that determine how much data you can store, as indexes are just data too.

Would you care to share some more of your use case or intended use so I can help you decide if Riak is suitable?

Cheers

Russell