Cross-filesystem cluster?

Tom Lanyon tom+riak at oneshoeco.com
Thu Oct 24 19:15:14 EDT 2013

Does anyone have any experience or know of any reasons to avoid running a Riak cluster with different filesystems backing different nodes?

With all other cluster components (hardware, OS, Riak version, Riak backend [leveldb], etc.) being equal, I'm really interested in doing a comparison of a node backed by XFS and one backed by ext4.  I wondered whether we could simply do an A/B test by swapping out the filesystem on one node in the cluster and observing the impact that this has.  I can't come up with any reasons why this is a bad idea, other than the obvious risk of impacting performance if the new filesystem performs much worse.

Thanks,
Tom