How does Riak full-text search compare to SolrCloud?

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Wed Oct 30 10:14:41 EDT 2013

Underneath the hood, Yokozuna (Riak Search 2.0) uses Solr's distributed
queries. However, instead of relying on Solr Cloud to distributed indexes
and determine which shards to include, it uses a variant of Riak's
"coverage" computation to determine which shards are queried, and then just
passes it off to Solr to perform. Unlike Riak Search 1.4 and earlier,
Yokozuna is document-partitioned, not term-partitioned, meaning that there
is a 1-1 mapping between Solr shard and Riak partition/vnode. Yokozuna also
does active anti-entropy so that any discrepancies between the index and
the key-value data get repaired.

I'm sure I'm missing some details; perhaps Ryan or Eric could chime in when
they come online.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Jeremiah Peschka <
jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Riak 2.0's search is Solr and has the same functionality as SolrCloud. As
> I understand it, you'll have the same functionality available to you
> between the two.
>
> Looking at the history of the source, it looks like the current Solr
> version in Riak 2.0 Search is Solr 4.4... so, no, block joins aren't there.
>
> ---
> Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar Unlimited
> MCITP: SQL Server 2008, MVP
> Cloudera Certified Developer for Apache Hadoop
>

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Andy <angelflow at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw in the announcement of Riak 2.0 that Solr is now integrated into
>> Riak: http://basho.com/introducing-riak-2-0/. The announcement mentions
>> "highly available" and "built for scale". Those seem to be characteristics
>> similar to SolrCloud. For someone looking for a distributed search server,
>> is there any reason to choose Riak over SolrCloud? What are the pros and
>> cons of the two solutions?
>>
>> Also, is every Solr functionality available in Riak? Do the various Solr
>> analyzers and stemmers for different languages work in Riak? What about the
>> newly added Block Join feature (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3076)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>  Andy