Import big data to Riak

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Oct 31 19:32:55 EDT 2013

On 30/10/13 02:59, Georgi Ivanov wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 October 2013 16:50:25 Rune Skou Larsen wrote:
>> Den 29-10-2013 16:32, Georgi Ivanov skrev:
>>> Hi and thank you for the reply. My comment follow:
>>>
>>> My tests are exactly what we will have in production. 1 node or in best
>>> case 2 nodes.
>>> We don't care about durability here.
>>
>> If you don't care about durability, why do you want multiple copies of
>> each object? I.e. why not just keep n=1?
> The only reason is that if the HW dies we will have to import the data again
> .. which takes like one week.
>
> That's why i would prefer 2 nodes setup
>>
>>>    Our request per second will be extremely
>>>
>>> low too(300 per day ?)
>>> Also we use 2i indexes.

Given your parameters, I have to say.. are you sure Riak is the right
tool for your job?

A classical database, like Postgresql, could be a better fit.
It can import data much faster than Riak for a single client, and
provides indexes, searching, etc.
And of course you can have streaming replication so that you have a hot
spare in case of hardware failure.