Bitcask Key Listing

Jason Campbell xiaclo at xiaclo.net
Tue Aug 19 07:17:37 EDT 2014

I currently maintain my own indexes for some things, and use natural keys where I can, but a question has been nagging me lately.

Why is key listing slow?  Specifically, why is bitcask key listing slow?

One of the biggest issues with bitcask is all keys (including the bucket name and some overhead) must fit into RAM.  For large amounts of keys, I understand the coordination data transfer will hurt, but shouldn't things like list buckets (or listing keys from small buckets) be fast?

Is there a reason this is slow, and is there a plan to fix it?

Thanks,
Jason