How to call riak_core_ring:remove_member/3 from erlang shell?

Sebastian Wittenkamp swittenkamp at vmware.com
Tue Aug 19 16:54:10 EDT 2014

Hello all, riak shell newbie here. I have a cluster running Riak 1.0.0 which is showing duplicate entries in its ring_member list.

E.g. I have 'riak at 192.168.10.22' listed multiple times when I do 'riak-admin  member_status'. If I tell the node to leave or force-remove it, only one entry is removed from the list.

>From looking at the docs it appears that there's a function http://basho.github.io/riak_core/riak_core_ring.html#remove_member-3 which can be used to remove a member from the ring. I'm wondering how to call that from an erlang shell and also if that's the best/only option?

Basically, I just want to forcibly remove the node through any means necessary. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks in advance.