Do Riak handle abandoned process identifier ?

Christopher Meiklejohn cmeiklejohn at basho.com
Wed Dec 3 11:52:25 EST 2014

> On Dec 3, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Taufan Adhitya <toopay at taufanaditya.com> wrote:
>
> Guys, should i worry about creating many process identifier in my app vai riak_pb_socket:start,start_link? I try to find on documentation section but i couldn't find a part that explicitly stated that riak will close some inactive process.

HI Taufan,

riakc_pb_socket connections are usually long lived, and will stay open until disconnected or timed out while performing a specific task.  There is no specific code in the riak_pb_server for ensuring that idle connections will be closed after a given period of inactivity.

If you’re opening and closing riakc_pb_socket connections at various places in your application — maybe consider using a connection pool for maintaining a known set of open connections that you use for issuing requests?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Meiklejohn
Senior Software Engineer