handoff.ip invalid, must be a valid IP address

Christopher Meiklejohn cmeiklejohn at basho.com
Mon Dec 15 09:01:19 EST 2014

> On Dec 14, 2014, at 8:26 AM, Harold Hsu <haroldsphsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Newbie here.  I'm following the Five-minute Install guide, trying to setup riak on a Linux Mint VirtualBox VM.  Here's what I've done:
>
> - Cloned the source from GitHub.
> - Ran make all.
> - Ran make devrel DEVNODES=5
>
> When I try to run "dev/dev1/bin/riak console", it failed with the following message:
>
> 23:18:02.052 [error] handoff.ip invalid, must be a valid IP address
> 23:18:02.058 [error] Error generating configuration in phase validation
> 23:18:02.058 [error] handoff.ip invalid, must be a valid IP address
> Error generating config with cuttlefish
>   run `riak config generate -l debug` for more information.
>
> Any idea what I did wrong?

Hi Harold,

This is currently an open issue with the development branch which we’re tracking through this issue:
https://github.com/basho/riak_core/issues/670

Adding {handoff_ip, "127.0.0.1”} to your rel/vars.config should resolve the issue after rebuilding your devrel.

- Chris

Christopher Meiklejohn
Senior Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.