Changing app.config of Live Riak Cluster

Praveen Baratam praveen.baratam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:19:11 EST 2014

Hello Everybody,

We are using Riak to store small files (<2MB) in our stack.

Currently its configured with "*multi_backend*" and two buckets as follows-

------------------------
            {storage_backend, riak_kv_multi_backend},
            {multi_backend_default, <<"store">>},
            {multi_backend, [
            {<<"store">>, riak_kv_bitcask_backend, [
               {data_root, "/var/lib/riak/bitcask/store"}
            ]},
            {<<"cache">>, riak_kv_bitcask_backend, [
               {data_root, "/var/lib/riak/bitcask/cache"},
               {expiry_secs, 21600}
            ]}
            ]},
-------------------------

Now we want to delete the "*cache*" bucket and add another bucket "*temp*"
for another purpose.

--------------------------

           {<<"temp">>, riak_kv_bitcask_backend, [
               {data_root, "/var/lib/riak/bitcask/temp"},
               {expiry_secs, 604800}
            ]}

I am aware that I can do it using the HTTP Buckets API but can I shut down
all nodes, modify the app.config on all nodes and restart the cluster
safely with out losing any data?

Thanks in advance.

Praveen